Operations against militants to continue: Sar-i-Pul governor
SAR-I-PUL (Pajhwok): The governor on Sunday said five Taliban insurgents had been killed and seven others wounded during clearing operations in some areas of northern Sar-i-Pul province.
Governor Mohammad Zahir Wehdat, donning a military uniform, has been leading the operations launched in Sayyad district and Adrang, Balghi, Latai, Kala Sokhta and Sultan Ibrahim areas of the provincial capital, Sar-i-Pul City, on Friday.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News in the Adrang area that the operations had resulted in the killing of two Taliban militants and injuring of another three in Aqso area of Sayyad district. Aqsa and Aho Sayyad village had been cleared of militants, he said.
The governor said fierce clashes were currently ongoing between security forces and militants in Sultan Ibrahim, Dara and Kala Sokhta areas of the provincial capital.
He said the rebels had blown up a bridge on Aq river in Dara area where three militants were killed and two militants and as many security personnel were wounded during clashes.
The governor said the operations involved army, local police and national police personnel backed by air support and the operations would continue.
A school headmaster and a group leader of local police in Balghi village of Sar-i-Pul city, told Pajhwok Afghan News that local residents were fed up with Taliban’s activities and were finally forced into picking guns against them. “After Taliban torched our homes, it forced me to pick up a gun.”
But Taliban said they had killed and wounded seven security personnel in clashes in Laghman, Kala Sokhta and Sar-i-Pul’s Sultan Dara area and destroyed their tank.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.