Relatives of Kunduz war victims receive cash assistance
KUDNUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The process of cash assistance to war-affected residents of Kunduz province was set in motion on Thursday, but the locals asked for more help.
Taliban captured Kunduz City on Sept. 28, 2015 but three days later Afghan forces launched an operation and recaptured the strategic provincial capital.
Acting GovernorHamdullah Danishi told Pajhwok Afghan News the government had approved 14 million afghanis for the war victims. The family of each victim would be given 50,000afs.
Each injured person will receive 20,000 afs assistance. So far, the families of 11 individuals killed and 10 injured have been compensated, according to the governor, who promised the process would continue.
Local officials say more than 180 civilians were killed and 330 others wounded in the firefights and all affected families need assistance.
However, the findings of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and OHCHR shows nearly 290 civilians were killed and 560 others injured.
Resident Mohammad Masoom said that his brother Syed Rahman, one of the dead, left behind a wife and three children, who were faced with multiple problems.
“During the Taliban’s control of the city, my brother was hit by a mortar shell soon after he came out of home. He died before reaching hospital,” Masoom added.
A woman, who did not want to be named, said she had lost a son to the war. “Even if I get the wealth of the entire world, my son will never come back.”She asked the government to ensure the security of civilians.
The provincial head of the Afghanistan Natural Disaster Management Authority (ANDMA), Mir Aqa Itibar said the cash assistance was approved during the president’s visit to the province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.