Operation underway to retake Takhar’s Darqad district
TALOQAN (Pajhwok): The security personnel have launched an operation to recapture the Darqad district of northeastern Takhar province, officials said on Saturday.
Sunatullah Timori, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News both sides had suffered casualties during the operation that was initiated on Friday evening.
Two important areas of the district, Islamabad and Shaftalobuz, had been wrested back from the rebels, Timori claimed, saying the localities were Taliban strongholds.
He added one member of the Special Forces had been killed and four security personnel wounded in clashes with the militants.
“The operation features the 808th Spinzar Military Corps commander, the governor and the provincial police chief. We are trying to take back control of the district from the militants,” Timori said.
Meanwhile, Darqad district chief, Abdul Ghafoor, claimed militant resistance had weakened. He said the whole district would be cleared of rebels during the ongoing operation.
Najmuddin, a resident of Qaghni area of the district, said gunfire was being heard in most areas of Darqad. Some rockets have hit civilian houses. We are in a state of fear and don’t know which side is in control.”
On the other hand, the Taliban claimed pushing back the security forces and inflicting heavy casualties on soldiers. Their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said some military vehicles had been destroyed.
However, he vehemently denied the killing of the Taliban-designated district chief. He confirmed the loss of only four militants in the district that fell to the rebels in November 2015.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.