7 insurgents including a commander surrender in Baghlan
PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): A Taliban commander, who seized a district from the security personnel, has joined the peace process in the northern province of Baghlan, officials said on Monday.
Commander Mohammad Ewaz joined the peace drive along with six fighters, surrendering two rocket launchers, a Kalashnikov and a machinegun as a result of efforts by the National Directorate of Security.
Governor Abdul Sattar Barez told Pajhwok Afghan News the commander had been fighting against the government in the Tala Wa Barfak district of the province.
“Over the past three years, I have been fighting against the government. But now I have seen the reality and renounced violence,” Wari Ewaz said,recalling his crucial role in the fall of Tala Wa Barfak district.
When the security forces tried to retake the town, Ewaz was directed by senior rebel commanders to leave the district centre and burn the building.
“Ireplied the building is a national asset, and asked why I should set it ablaze. I realised the Taliban are controlled by outsiders and decided against damaging my own country,” he said.
He asked the government to pay attention to their security and provide work opportunities for the surrendering men.
Provincial Peace Committee head Abdul Samad Stanikzai welcomed the surrender, promising 6,000 afghanis a month each of the men and 13,000 afs for the commander over the next six months.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.