‘Indian consulate attackers had links with Pak army’
MAZIR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): The assailants, who attempted to storm the Indian consulate in northern Balkh province, “had links with the Pakistani army,” a senior police official alleged on Tuesday.
Last week, three gunmen entered a three-storey building opposite the Indian mission in Mazar-i-Sharif, the provincial capital, and started firing at the consulate.
An intense gun-battle ensued between Afghan security forces and the assailants who were killed after a 25-hour clash.
One policeman had died and nine others, including four civilians, wounded in the assault.
“It has been proved two of the attackers had connections with the Pakistani military,” Balkh police chief Brig. Col. Syed Kamal Sadaat, told a press conference.
He said the gunmen were well-trained and fully prepared for the attack. The attackers could not speak local languages (Pashto and Dari), and were speaking Urdu among themselves, he said.
According to Sadat, they had launched a joint investigation with the National Directorate of Security (NDS) to find out how the gunmen reached the area. Their investigations were underway, he said.
Such attacks couldn’t hurt the Afghan-Indo ties but would rather make them stronger, Indian Ambassador to Afghanistan Amar Sinha had said two days after the attack.
He had appreciated the Afghan forces for a quick response to the attack and also thanked the Balkh governor.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.