13 killed, 14 wounded in Jalalabad suicide attack
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): More than a dozen civilians were killed and another 14 wounded on Sunday when a suicide attacker blew himself up in the middle of a meeting at the home of a public representative in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province.
The bomber struck the guesthouse belonging to a provincial council member, Obaidullah Shinwari, the son of a prominent tribal elder Malik Osman, in the third police district at 10.30am, said the Nangarhar governor’s spokesman.
Attaullah Khogyani told Pajhwok Afghan News 13 civilians were killed and 14 others were wounded in the attack.
Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi condemned the attack and said the wounded included Malik Osman and his son Samiullah, who had been released by militants.
Provincial council secretary Zabihullah Zamarai said several people had gathered in the guesthouse to meet Obaidulah Shinwari’s brother, Samiullah, after his release by militants.
He said several people suffered casualties when the suicide bomber detonated his explosives in the meeting.
Azizullah, giving an eyewitness account, said a man wearing black clothes entered Osman’s room where several people were sitting. Soon after his entry into the room, the man blew himself up.
He added security guards followed the man, who managed to detonate his explosives before being stopped. The witness feared the casualties could increase.
Though no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Shinwari tribe is known for its strong opposition to the presence of the Islamic State (Daesh) group in the eastern province. The attack might have been the handiwork of Daesh militants.
Daesh has not yet commented on the incident, but Taliban militants have denied their involvement.
A week ago, several people suffered casualties in a suicide attack near the Pakistan consulate in Jalalabad city.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.