4-nation meeting on roadmap for peace talks begins in Kabul
KABUL (Pajhwok): Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani inaugurated the second meeting of the Quadrilateral Coordination Committee in Kabul on Monday.
During the first four-way talks in Islamabad on January 11, the participants had reiterated their commitment to realising the objectives identified in talks on the sidelines of the Heart of Asia Conference.
In Kabul, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) spokesman Shekib Mustaghni said today’s meeting would get under way with opening remarks by Rabbani.
Javed Faisal, deputy spokesman for the Chief Executive Office, said: “We are waiting for the outcome of the meeting. A positive result will send a good message to the Afghan people.”
But if the talks did not produce the desired result, he suggested, the strategy for peace talks would be changed.
The first round of face-to-face talks between the Afghan government and Taliban was held in Pakistan’s northwestern tourist resort of Murree in July last year. Observers from the US and China were also in attendance.
The second round was scheduled to be held in China or Pakistan on July 30, 2015 but it was suspended after the disclosure of the death of Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar.
On Sunday, the High Peace Council (HPC) expressed optimism about the meeting and said there had been a considerable change in Pakistan's policy towards Afghanistan.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.