30 insurgents killed in Maiwand offensive: official
KANDAHAR (Pajhwok): At least 30 militants have been killed and another 18 wounded during clearing operations in the Maiwand district of southern Kandahar province, officials said on Sunday.
The provincial government spokesman said the operations were launched 20 days ago and were focused on Ghorak, Shah Walikot and Maiwand districts.
Samim Khpalwak told Pajhwok Afghan News more than 30 villages of Sorabaghal and Kalan Kichi of Miwand had been cleared of insurgents and some 85 landmines defused as a result of the offensive, which he said was aimed at changing the mode of security forces from defensive to offensive.
Personnel from the Afghan National Army (ANA), police, civil order police and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) were engaged in the operations, a 205th Atal Military Corps official said.
He claimed Taliban fighters had been expelled from their permanent hideouts which they used for creating insecurity in Helmand and Kandahar provinces.
The insurgents are yet to comment regarding the operations.
Separately, a local rebel commander was killed in Zangabad locality of Panjwi district, said Khpalwak. But residents of the area said the slain person was not a Taliban commander but an ordinary person.
Khpalwak said security forces had received intelligence report that commander Razaq Mama had come to Zangabad area. As security forces tried to arrest him, he opened fire at the police and was killed in return fire.
Elsewhere in Ragistan district of the province, seven policemen fell ill after drinking contaminated water, the gubernatorial spokesman said.
Khpalwak said police had to drink water of a pond due to a lack of potable water in the district. The policemen have been rushed to hospital and their health condition is said to be stable.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.