MoD contract rejected, 4 road contracts cancelled
KABUL (Pajhwok): The National Procurement Commission (NPC) approved two contracts worth 600 million afghanis, rejected a third belonging to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and cancelled four roads construction contracts for poor quality, the Presidential Palace said on Sunday.
According to a statement from the Presidential Palace, the committee made these decisions during a meeting chaired by President Ashraf Ghani on Saturday evening.
The meeting discussed procurement issues of different government departments, the statement said, adding that two contracts, one belonging to Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS) and another to the Ministry of Public Works worth of 600 million afghanis, were approved.
One contract of the MoD was rejected and four others about road constructions were cancelled due to poor progress and low quality materials use by the construction companies.
The NPC has previously appointed a joint delegation led by the Ministry of Economy to assess these projects. The delegation was tasked with discussing the construction contracts with the Ministry of Public Works and providing suggestions to the NPC, the source said.
The statement said the companies’ officials, who failed to carry out their responsibilities as agreed in the contracts, had been introduced to judicial organs.
The president said the selection of construction companies for future construction projects should be classified based on their quality, the statement added.
Any contractor failing to abide by the agreement would face the law, the president was quoted as saying.
Second Vice-President Mohammad Sarwar Danish, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah, the ministers of finance, economy and justice and some other officials were present at the meeting.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.