Nangarhar governor orders stepped-up police patrols
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The governor of eastern Nangarhar province has asked the military council to increase police patrols and search operations in Jalalabad and nearby areas, an official said on Monday.
During a meeting with the military council members on Sunday night, Governor Saleem Khan Kunduzi instructed the officials to devise an operational plan for better security.
Kunduzi directed the authorities to step up police patrols and searchoperations across the province, his spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told Pajhwok Afghan News.
“They have decided to adopt necessary measures to enforcethe presidentialorder to devise plans for conducting operations against militants in Nangarhar,” a statement from governor’s office said.
The current security situation in Jalalabad had worried the people, resident Zabihullah Faridzai said, adding they could not move around the city for fear of being kidnapped or other attacked.
Likewise, provincial councilsecretary Zabihullah Zmaray acknowledged crime and kidnappingshad increased, but officials were paying only lip-service to public security.
“Some days ago, a judge was abducted in Jalalabad and local journalist Mohammad Zubair Khaksar gunned down in Surkhrod district. If it is not insecurity, what is?” he asked.
The provincial police chief, Maj. Gen. Fazal Ahmad Sherzad said police rescued a person from kidnappers and seized a large amount of weapons and ammunitions last week.
Col. Mohammad Noman Hatifi, spokesman for the 201st Selab Crops, said that they had launched Shaheen14 operation in the Karez Kabeer area of Jalalabad and Behsud district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.