Thousands of right-hand drive vehicles to be banned in April
KABUL (Pajhwok): Traffic officials on Tuesday said a five-year grace period for around 6,000 right-hand drive vehicles would expire in April this year. After the expiry of the deadline, the department will ban them all.
Kabul Traffic Director Brig. Gen. Asadullah, in an exclusive interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, said that the grace period for the right-hand drive cars would end on April 21.
He added only 163 of the cars in Kabul and up to 200 in other provinces had been given another five-year period. Based on a cabinet decision, the traffic of the right-steering cars would be banned in Afghanistan.
Asadullah believed the department could collect documents of such cars in a week or two if the government did not extend the deadline. The banned vehicles could be sold only in parts, he explained.
He claimed the right-hand drive vehicles caused more accidents in Afghanistan. In line with the traffic law, only left-hand drive vehicles are allowed to ply roads.
Deputy traffic chief, Col. Mohammad Sabir Arghandiwal, also said their office was ready to act in accordance with the law and ban all right-hand drive vehicles.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.