2016 may be worse than last year, warns Gen. Campbell
WASHINGTON (Pajhwok): The commander of US troops in Afghanistan has acknowledged progress in the war-torn country has been uneven, but unwavering commitment is still needed.
NATO’s Resolute Support mission Gen. John Campbell told the House Armed Services Committee that building an Afghan force that could protect its people and deal with terror groups was a must.
In order to control the security situation in Afghanistan, the general said he was conducting an assessment of resources and troops needed to help Afghanistan beyond 2017.
Giving the panel an update on Tuesday, Campbell said: “The situation is more dynamic than a simple yes or no answer would adequately address.” He warned the current year might be no better, or possibly worse, than 2015.
A statement from the Department of Defense quoted the commander as saying the US mission was not aimed at a strategic stalemate. He believed the US must show flexibility with regard to its campaign in 2016 and beyond.
Afghan forces were performing extremely well in some circumstances and poorly in others, he remarked. “Ultimately, Afghanistan has not achieved an enduring level of security and stability that justifies reduction in our support in 2016.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.