Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Government given 10 days to conduct operation in Kunduz

Government given 10 days to conduct operation in Kunduz

Feb 06, 2016 - 17:02

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Residents, provincial council members, youth and civil societyinfo-icon activists on Saturday gave the government a 10-day ultimatum to launch a clearing operation against insurgents in northern Kunduz province.

Over 150 individuals warned the authorities of a storm of protest and expulsion of local officials if an anti-militant offensive did not kick off in the next 10-day in the province.

The protesters claimed hundreds of people had lost their lives in the battle for Kunduz City, the provincial capital, some months back and they did not wanta recurrence of the tragic incident.

Ghulam Rabbani Rabbani, a provincial council member, said the president had pledged to launch a clearing operation against the guerrillas in the province in three weeks but the promise was yet to be kept.

He added Kunduz City was once again under threat from the Talibaninfo-icon but the security forces had not made any preparations for any kind of operation,

Raids had been conducted in far-flung areas of Takhar province, but the government was not concerned about the worsening situation Kunduz, the public representative observed.

Acting Governor Hamdullah Danishi said the president had pledged an offensive in Kunduz, but the spread of the insurgency in Helmand caused a delay in a clearing offensive in Kunduz.

He said the operation would be launched once the insurgents were defeated in Helmand. However, Danish did not say when the military push in Helmand would end.

The Taliban have once again strengthened their position on the outskirts of Kunduz City and Chardara district,posing a huge threat to the provincial capital. Any new Taliban attack may be harsher and more dangerous, he warned.

The acting governor acknowledged the militants had transferred heavy weapons to Chardara and if not defeated, they might use them during another attack on Kunduz City.

Earlier, Chief of Armed Forces Gen. Qadam Shah Shaheem had visited security forces in the strategic city. He said an operation in the province would be launched before the arrival of the spring season.

He insisted coordination among security forces had improved, claimed situation had got better after the creation of the zonal police headhunters of 808th Spinghar and 20th Pamir.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update