Governor orders halt to forest cutting in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Launching a spring tree plantation campaign, the governor on Saturday said he had directed district and police chiefs of some districts to prevent forests from being cut down.
One and a half million trees both fruit bearing and ornamental will be planted as part of the campaign in Nangarhar, according to local officials.
Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi inaugurated the tree plantation drive by planting a few seedlings at the Kidney Hospital, urging the people to protect and take care of the young trees.
To a question from Pajhwok Afghan News the governor said: “Forests were cut down in some areas, but at yesterday’s security meeting, some district administration and police chiefs were asked to prevent it.”
Meanwhile, Nangarhar agriculture and livestock director Eng. Shakir told Pajhwok Afghan News that three millions seedlings would be planted in cooperation with the private sector this spring.
“The plants include 450,000 fruit bearing and the rest ornamental. These saplings will be grown on 5000 acres of land,” the director said.
Shakir said cutting of forests in the Shinwari zone had been prevented based on agreements with tribes. “We have plans for the cut down forests which will be revived by planting new trees so the blank parts are filled.”
Provincial council secretary Zabihullah Zamarai said forests were being cut in areas controlled by insurgents. “Pacheragam, Achin, Haska Mena and some other districts have thick forests, but in areas where the government has no writ, forests are cut down. We hope local residents will prevent this practice.”
A resident of Jalalabad, Sangar, said the government used to plant tens of thousands of trees each year, but did not take care of them.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.