University entrance exam kicks off in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Provincial council members and participants of the university entrance test (Kankor) in eastern Nangarhar province on Saturday asked the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) to ensure that deserving students made it to state-run universities.
The demand for transparent and fair entry test was made at a ceremony before the launch of Kankor exam in Jalalabad, the provincial capital. As many as 11,000 fresh high school graduates are expected to sit the exam this year.
Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi and provincial council members jointly opened the box of question sheets. Zabihullah Zamrai, the provincial council secretary, said irregularities had been noticed in past Kankor exams.
He asked the MoHE to be honest with students of Nangarhar in announcing the results. He, however, said the examination process was going well.
Nangarhar University Chancellor Babrak Miakhel said around 10,401 graduates, including 900 females, from different high schools of Nangrahar appeared for the exam.
In the three-day examination process, no chance for cheating and other irregularities would be provided to students, he said.
Nafesa, one of the participating students, said students in some provinces were able to find access to answer keys and that was why more students from other provinces succeeded in the examination.
But Syed Ezatullah Mujadidi, deputy head of the Kankor examination committee, rejected the claims of cheating and other irregularities in Kankor.
He said earlier there had been some problems with the examination process, but those issues had been resolved.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.