Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Protesters want Nangrahar governor removed

Protesters want Nangrahar governor removed

Feb 08, 2016 - 16:52

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Some residents of the Shinwari zone in eastern Nangarhar province on Monday staged a protest in capital Kabul, calling for the provincial governor to be removed. They also warned Nangarhar would fall to Islamic State (IS) if a decisive action was not taken against the group.

Around 150 individuals coming all the way from Batikot, Nazyan, Achin Kot and Deh Bala districts gathered in front of Chaman-i-Hozori, chanting “death to governor”, “death to traitors”, “death to ISIinfo-icon spies”, “death to corrupt individuals” and others.

Azizullah Shinwari, a resident of Nazyan district, said they wanted the law and order situation in Nazyan to be improved and immediate assistance provided to displaced families in the district.

He said Islamic State or Daesh militants were active in parts of Shinwari zone, but the government was taking no action against them.

He termed Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi as an inexperienced man and demanded his resignation. He said the governor was engaged in his private business and was unaware of the province situation.

However, the government has claimed crushing IS militants in Nangarhar in a series of airstrikes.

Azizullah said around 60,000 families had been displaced by the conflict from the Shinwari zone.

But Kunduz’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said the operation against Daesh was underway in parts of the province and would continue until the last terrorist was standing.

H said after President Ashraf Ghani’s visit to Nangarhar, the provincial military council had decided to step up offensive against IS and conduct daily strikes.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update