11 rebels join peace process in Herat
HERAT CITY (Pajhwok): Nearly a dozen militants on Wednesday joined the peace process in western Herat province, an official said.
Local officials said the reconciling militants had been active against the government in Guzra district.
They laid down their weapons in the presence of the governor and promised partaking in improving the security situation of the province.
Governor Mohammad Asif Rahimi told a ceremony welcoming the former fighters that all rebels should shun insurgency and return to a normal life.
“Our enemies mobilise our youths against us to disrupt our peace, but people now know the goals of our enemies and prevent them from their destructive plans,” he said.
Meanwhile, Herat Peace Committee head Maulvi Ghulam Sarwar said: “The reconciling rebels would receive assistance in material for the first six months before they are recruited in Afghan forces.”
The 11-member group had been active in Syawoshan area of Guzra district and joined the peace process as a result of ongoing operations by local security forces.
Ansar Police Zone commander, Col. Hassan Shah Frogh, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the 11 militants also turned in some weapons and ammunition to police.
Mohammad Hussain, the group commander, said they had been fighting against the government for some reasons.
Since the beginning of the peace process, 1,220 militants have reconciled with government in Herat so far.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.