Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Government given 3-day deadline to restore electricity supply

Government given 3-day deadline to restore electricity supply

Feb 12, 2016 - 14:02

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Some civil societyinfo-icon organizations have warned to cut off electricity of government leaders’ residencies if they did not restore power supply to the capital Kabul in three days.

 The militants blew up a power pylon in Dand-i-Shahabuddin area on the outskirts of Pul-i-Khumri nearly two weeks before they destroyed three more towers.

According to media reports Talibaninfo-icon had said they would allow repair of a power transmission line if an ongoing operation in Dand-i-Ghori district is stopped

Faeyq Azimi, member of civil society network, told reporters that Kabul was the first capital of the worldinfo-icon which was deprived from electricity facility, saying that they would cut off the power lines of President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah’s residencies if the electricity supply was not restored by coming Monday.

He said hundreds of security men had been dispatched to Baghlan for clearing operation, but still government writ could not be restored in most of the areas.

He further said civil society activist would launch social movements if the government leaders continued to ignore the electricity outage issue.

Nasrullah Falk, another civil society activist and resident of Baghlan, said the issue of Dand-i-Ghorinfo-icon was rooted in the past, saying that clearing operation was going very slow and in some place it had been stopped.

He said the wrong and confusing strategy of government had prolonged crisis in Baghlan.

Civil society activists on Thursday claimed some 800 civilians suffered casualties and thousands more were displaced by weeks of clashes between security forces and Taliban militants in the province, calling for a ceasefire.

They told a press conference in Kabul orchards were cut down and houses, schools, clinics and mosques were destroyed in in airstrikes as part of the operations against Taliban, displacing 17000 families.

“We are in very bad conditions. The ongoing bombardments are claiming the lives of civilians,” a resident of Dand-i-Shahabuddin area, Khairullah Shinwari, told the press conference.

Flanked by other civil society activists, Shinwari said the law of war and human rights had been violated during the clashes entering a third week in Dand-i-Shahabuddin, Dand-i-Ghori and Markazi Baghlan districts.

At least 135 civilians, including 40 womeninfo-icon and children, had been killed and more than 650 civilians wounded in the gun battles, he claimed, saying nearly 30,000 families were trapped in their homes.

He said the 17,000 families had been displaced to Khaja Alwan desert on the outskirts of Pul-i-Khumri and they were in urgent need of assistance.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update