7,500 civilians suffered casualties in past 11 months
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) on Saturday expressed its concern over increasing civilian casualties as a result of suicide bombings and armed clashes in the country.
AIHRC officials said about 7,500 civilians, including children and women, suffered casualties during the first 11 months of the ongoing solar year in the ongoing conflict. They said 2,631 civilians were killed and 4,862 others were injured in violence during the period.
AIHRC spokesman Rafiullah Baidar told Pajhwok Afghan News the dead included 481 children and 304 women, blaming most of the civilian casualties on Taliban militants, particularly on their suicide attacks.
He said ground fighting, target killings, roadside bombings, rocket attacks, grenade attacks and airstrikes were the second leading cause of casualties among civilians.
“We have expressed our concern about civilian casualties to the government and the Taliban militants,” Baidar added.
He called civilian casualties a humanitarian disaster and asked the warring parties to observe war and humanitarian rules and prevent civilian losses.
He said it seemed casualties had increased compared to last year, saying details of the casualties would be published next month.
The Afghan government says 2015 was a difficult year as Taliban and other militant groups stepped up their attacks. However, the government also claims security forces remain strong and they protected many areas from falling to insurgents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.