Khost governor, PC head extol security forces’ performance
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): Khost Governor Hukam Khan Habibi said on Tuesday security forces were making progress in curbing activities of insurgents in the southeastern province.
Addressing a news conference here, the governor spoke of a string of recent counterinsurgency offensives in the province, where weapons were seized and some Taliban detained.
He said the operations were conducted jointly by the Afghan National Army (ANA), police and National Directorate of Security (NDS) personnel in different areas of the province.
Hukam Khan said 84 boxes of Kalashnikov, machine gun and heavy machinegun bullets, 51 missile warheads and 20 artillery shells had been recovered during the crackdown on terrorists.
The governor acknowledged security forces, making significant headway, had been able to disrupt insurgent activities to a greater extent.
Provincial Council Chairman Abdul Wali Wahidzai also praised the efforts of security forces to enforce peace in the province, bordering Pakistan’s restive tribal region of Kurram.
He believed if residents cooperated with security forces, insecurity could be banished for good. The security personnel had prevented militants from implementing their nefarious designs.
Tahir Khan, a resident of Khost, expressed pleasure over the current state of security, but said occasional bomb attacks in urban areas, including the provincial capital, fuelled concerns.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.