Anti-Daesh offensive in Achin being extended to Nazyan
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The joint operation against Islamic State militants has been successfully underway in Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province and many areas have been cleared of Daesh loyalists, officials said on Thursday, vowing to extend the offensive to Nazyan district.
The operation codenamed “Shaheen 18” was launched earlier this week, with officials saying so far 50 Islamic State gunmen have been killed and another 20 wounded during the operation.
Nangarhar governor Salim Khan Kunduz and the 201 Selab Military Corps commander and several other officials a day earlier visited Deh Sarak and Mamond areas of Achin district to closely monitor the operation.
Nangarhar National Directorate of Security chief Gen. Dad Mohammad Harifi told reporters that the operation in Achin was successfully underway and very soo the Islamic State militants would flee the area. “The way these areas were cleared of Daesh, very soon a major operation against the outfit will be launched in Nazyan district,” he said.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Fazl Ahmad Sherzad told reporters in Achin district that so far 50 Daesh militants had been killed and 20 others wounded during the ongoing operation. He said 25 villages had been recaptured from armed militants in Deh Sarak and Mamond areas, allowing hundreds of displaced families to return to their homes.
Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi told Pajhwok Afghan News that three schools had been reopened in Deh Sarak area and the schools resumed classes on Thursday.
“The Deh Sarak High School was among three schools which had been closed and turned into guesthouse of Daesh militants, but the schools have been reopened and provided with all needed resources.”
The governor said he would continue his efforts to ensure good governance in the Achin district and warned local officials against absenteeism.
A resident of the district, Hayat Khan, told Pajhwok Afghan News that hundreds of fighters loyal to Mangal Bagh, a fugitive Pakistani militant leader, last night arrived in Deh Sarak and Mamond areas to fight against the Afghan forces. He said the operation was a success in the district and local residents supported the offensive.
A 10th class student at the Deh Sarak High School, Zikrullah, told Pajhwok Afghan News that their school was reopened on Thursday and needed reconstruction.
“The school was used by Daesh militants as a centre. All window glasses have been broken and tables destroyed. We hope the government will repair these tools or will bring new ones.”
The operation in Deh Sarak area has been launched to construct security posts for tribal militias which have launched an uprising against the Islamic State group.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.