Taliban’s siege of Pushtrod forces civilian displacement
FARAH CITY (Pajhwok): Hundreds of militants have besieged the Pushtrod district centre of western Farah province, forcing hundreds of families to leave their homes, officials said on Wednesday.
The insurgents launched coordinated attacks on the district centrelate on Tuesday, capturing Kudar, Dukin, Faizabad, Gajgin, Chapak, Charmaq and Gosha villages, the town’s administrative chief said.
Ghausuddin told Pajhwok Afghan News the district centre was currently under siege and tank snatched by rebels destroyed. Two militants have been killed so far during clashes.
Security forces and civilians had suffered no casualties, he said, adding hundreds of residents had left their houses after the Taliban informed them about fighting in the area.
Although there were enough security forces to resist against the militant onslaught, reinforcementswere needed to retake control of the villages, Ghausuddin said.
Mohammad Sadiq Saadi, the youth council head for Dokin village, said around 300 families had been displaced from the district centre to Farah City, the capital of the province.
A large number of families from other areas of the district had also left their homes due to increasing insecurity, Saadi said. A shepherd was wounded in a mortar strike in Dokin village.
“We are living with our relatives in Farah City and won’t return before the security situation in our area improves,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Taliban claimed inflicting casualties on Afghan forces during attacks on the district centre. However, they did not give specific figures.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.