28 more Taliban eliminated in Dostum-led Faryab offensive
MAIMANA (Pajhwok): Twenty-eight insurgents, including notorious commanders, have been killed and hundreds of families displaced by the ongoing fighting in the Pashtoonkot district of northwestern Faryab province, an official said on Monday.
Maj. Reza Rezaee, spokesman for the Shahin Military Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News scores of rebels had been killed during the clearing operation codenamed Shamsher-25, spearheaded by First Vice President Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum.
The offensive kicked off two days back, he said, adding that arm, police and personnel from the National Directorate of Security were taking part in it.
He said six security officials had been wounded so far during the operation. A military vehicle which developed technical fault was set a light by security force before it could be captured by the Taliban.
Rezaee added 4,000 leaflets had been airdropped from helicopters, warning the Taliban to surrender within six hours or face the music.
But Massoud Ahmad Massoud, deputy head of Junbish -i-Islami party, said 32 fighters, including commanders Maulvi Kandahari, Haqyar, Ghani and Izzatullah, had been killed and dozens wounded in Khwaja Musa locality.
But Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, the Taliban spokesman, confirmed the security forces attacked Khwaja Musa area with heavy weapons and tanks. The Taliban launched a counter-attack.
He said 11 security men were killed, 25 others wounded and three tanks destroyed. One tank and a machinegun were seized by the fighters.
A tribal elder, who wished to go unnamed, said hundreds of families had fled to secure places. Earlier, Dostum had claimed 120 Taliban had been arrested in Pashtoonkot. Among them were dreaded commanders Hamidullah Akhund, Abdul Malik and Amanullah.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.