Kidnapped Iranian freed, ransom payment alleged
ZARANJ (Pajhwok): Security forces have released an Iranian national from kidnappers after 70 days in captivity in southwestern Nimroz province, an official said on Monday.
Wishing anonymity, the official told Pajhwok Afghan News Mohammad Reza Hashimi had been abducted near the custom department of Nimroz more than two months ago.
After a long search by security forces, Hashimi was recovered from a house in Zaranj, the provincial capital, the source said. No one has been arrested so far in connection with the abduction.
Governor Mohammad Sami, said Hashimi was handed over to Iranian border guards at the Abresham bridge, situated at the zero point of the border.
But another source, who also wished to go unnamed because he is no authorised to speak to the media, claimed the Iranian’s family had paid the kidnappers a ransom of six million afghanis.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.