Taliban’s plan to overrun Helmand thwarted: Governor
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The governor on Monday said militants’ attempts to capture southern Helmand province had been foiled and areas lost to the Taliban would be recaptured this new year.
Mirza Khan Rahimi, addressing a gathering of tribal elders and government officials, called the just ended solar year as full of troubles, bloodshed and loss of civilians and security forces, but said the Taliban’s plan to overrun the province had been frustrated by security forces.
The governor said recapturing areas under Taliban control would be his government’s top priority as part of the New Year strategy to deal with militancy.
He promised major development projects besides boosting agriculture and power sectors of the province.
Maj. Gen. Mohammad Moin Faqir, the 2015 Maiwand Military Corps commander, said the Taliban’s plan to capture Helmand had failed.
He asked residents of Helmand to play a proactive role in strengthening the law and order situation and also asked the Taliban to join the reconciliation process and shun violence.
The Taliban, who have laid siege to Marja district, are currently in control of Baghran, Dishu, Musa Qala, Khanshin and Nawzad districts of Helmand over the past four years.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.