53 including Daesh fighters join peace process in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 53 militants, including 10 Islamic State (IS) fighters, have shunned the insurgency and joined the peace process in the Shinwari district of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Sunday.
The provincial peace committee on Saturday showed the men, including four commanders, to media representatives. The men handed over 43 weapons to the Disbandment of Illegal Armed Groups (DIAG).
The committee head, Malik Nazir, told reporters the militants had been operating against Afghan forces in Achin, Nazyan, Momand Dara, Batikot and Haska Mina districts.
“Ten Daesh militants, including commander Noor Mohammad Khan, and 43 Taliban rebels, four commanders of them, have renounced violence and joined the peace process,” he added.
Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi told Pajhwok Afghan News the surrender of the militants would help improve the security situation.
“Those who encourage you to fight are your enemies. Don’t harm your families and other people; quit fighting and join the peace process,” Kunduzi urged the militants.
Noor Mohammad Khan, one of the former rebels, said: “I am commander of 10 Daesh rebels, whom joined a few months ago. We received training in the Tor Dara area of Pakistan.”
He said that they were told by Pakistanis that jihad was due in Afghanistan.“My supporters and I have shunned the insurgency. Now we would up take up arms against Afghanistan’s enemies,” he concluded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.