Security forces retake Khanshin district from insurgents
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The Khanshin district of southern Helmand province has been recaptured by security forces as a result of an operation against the insurgents, officials said on Sunday.
Maj. Gen. Mohammad Moeen Faqir, 215th Maiwand Military Corps commander, told Pajhwok Afghan News the security forces launched an operation at 4:00am to retake the district.
The four-hour offensive ended at 8:00am, resulting in recapture of the district, he said, claiming the Taliban were on the run. At least 25 fighters were killed and wounded. The security forces are still searching for militants.
Abdul Jabbar Qahraman, President Ashraf Ghani’s special representative for the security of Helmand, confirmed the recapture of the district and said at least three Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were wounded.
Qahraman said: “The operation is not restricted to Khanshin. it will spread to Deshu district as well.”
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior also confirmed the district had been retaken.The Taliban have said nothing so far regarding the district changing hands.
The Taliban overran the Khanshin on March 15. Currently the Deshu, Baghran, Nawzad and Musa Qala districts are being controlledby the militants.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.