Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

13 insurgents eliminated in ongoing Kunduz offensive

13 insurgents eliminated in ongoing Kunduz offensive

Mar 28, 2016 - 13:27

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least 13 Talibaninfo-icon fighters have been killed during an operation by security forces in northern Kunduz province, officials said on Monday.

The offensive, part of Operation Shafaq, was recently extended to Kunduz. The operation featuresinfo-icon Afghan National Army (ANA) commandos and special units of police.

With foreign troops providing air support, the operation was launched at 11:00pm on Sunday night in several parts of Dasht-i-Archi district, Brig. Gen. Mohiuddin Ghori, commander of 20th Pamir Division, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

He said two insurgent hideouts had been destroyed and district cleared of rebels. Security posts were being set up in the areas, the commander added.

Police chief, Brig. Gen. Qaseem Gul Jangalbagh, said at least 13 militants had been killed and several others injured. The rebels’ bodies were lying at the site.

The Jandullah group’s fighters were likely among the dead, he said.

Ghori said during the operation that was launched four days ago across the province,  Kunduz City, Dasht-i-Archi and other areas of the province had been purged of militants.

So far 70 insurgents had been killed and wounded across the province. Two tanks, a Ranger pick-up and a motorcycle belonging to the fighters have been destroyed by security forces.

However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid rejected the claim, saying the security forces were not capable of confronting the guerrillas.




Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update