23 militants killed, 27 injured in Kapisa offensive
CHARIKAR (Pajhwok): Up to 23 Taliban fighters have been killed and another 27 wounded during an Afghan security forces operation wrapped up on Wednesday in the central province of Kapisa, an official said.
The joint operation “Khanjar” (Dagger) 21 had been launched 18 days ago in Char Qala and Dara-i-Afghania areas of Nijrab district, a spokesman for the 201st Selab Military Corps, Lt. Col. Sherin Aqa Faqiri, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said at least 23 Taliban insurgents had been killed and 27 others wounded during the operation.
A large quantity of arms, including a rocket launcher and ammunition, were seized and 17 landmines defused, he said.
Two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were also killed, but civilians escaped unharmed during the offensive, he said.
However, local residents said four civilians had been killed and 14 others including women and children injured during the operation that displaced more than 1500 families.
A tribal elder from the area, Lotfullah Zakir, said civilians suffered a lot during clashes between the security forces and the insurgents.
The Taliban have so far issued no comment regarding their casualties.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.