Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban bomber kills 13 Afghan army recruits on bus

Taliban bomber kills 13 Afghan army recruits on bus

Apr 11, 2016 - 18:45

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): More a dozen Afghan army’s new recruits were killed and another 38 wounded on Monday in a suicide attack on their bus in Sara Rud district of eastern Nangarhar province, an official said.

The attack took place in Do Sarki area at about 5pm, Nangarhar deputy police chief Col. Syed Abbas Sadat told Pajhwok Afghan News.

He said the attacker rammed his explosives-laden rickshaw into the bus carrying the new Afghan National Army recruits. Sadat had no exact figures for the casualties.

The military recruitment head in Nangarhar, Lt. Gen. Asadullah told Pajhwok Afghan News the bus carried a total of 50 new recruits belonging to four eastern provinces. He said the bus came under attack in Do Sarki area.

Giving an eyewitness account, a resident Mohammad Omar said all onboard the bus were in civilian dress. He said a dozen people were killed and some 30 others were wounded in the blast.

The eyewitness said the bus plunged into a ravine after the blast and the victims were evacuated from the ravine by local residents before police reached the scene.

The Nangarhar civil hospital director, Dr. Ihsanullah Shinwari, told Pajhwok Afghan News they had been delivered 13 dead bodies and 38 injured persons, whose condition was stated as stable.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed the attack in a statement that said a dozen people were killed and 26 others were wounded.

President Ashraf Ghani strongly condemned the attack in Nangarhar and an earlier bomb blast in Kabulinfo-icon that killed two Ministry of Educationinfo-icon officials and injured seven others.

In his reaction to the attacks, President Ghani said: “The enemies of Afghanistaninfo-icon once again showed they are against the development and prosperity of our beloved country.”

The president said the armed opposition forces, a reference to insurgents, lacked the ability to face the Afghan security forces, thus attacking innocent people.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast in Kabul, but the Talibaninfo-icon claimed they were behind the suicide bombing that struck the military bus in Nangarhar.

The group’s spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said 51 ANA troops were killed and wounded in the attack.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update