Governor demands reinforcements as Baghlan clashes continue
PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): The governor on Saturday asked the central government to dispatch additional security forces to northern Baghlan province to drive militants from the conflict-hit areas.
Abdul Sattar Barez said clashes between security forces and insurgents were underway in Dan-i-Shahabuddin and Dand-i-Ghori areas on the outskirts of Pul-i-Khumri, the provincial capital.
Taliban militants recently mounted attacks on security posts in different areas of Baghlan, particularly in Dan-i-Shahabuddin and Dand-I-Ghori areas.
Barez told Pajhwok Afghan News the militants launched attacks on security posts in Dand-i-Shahabuddin on Friday, but met a strong resistance from Afghan forces. He confirmed heavy clashes were still underway and many areas had been recaptured from militants.
He said 15 militants were killed and 10 others including a Taliban commander Mullah Abdur Rassoul were wounded during the clashes. But he said more security personnel were needed to deal with the ongoing organized conflict in Baghlan.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.