Afghan forces committed to human rights laws: Govt
KABUL (Pajhwok): Reacting to a UN report that held pro-government forces responsible for 127 civilian deaths during the first quarter of 2016, the Afghan government on Sunday said Afghan security forces were committed to domestic and international human rights laws.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) on Sunday released a report that said 1,943 civilian casualties (600 deaths and 1,343 injured) took place in the past three months, showing a significant decrease from the same period last year.
However, the mission noted a spike in the number of the civilians wounded. It said 1,343 people were injured during the first three months of 2016.
According to figures from UNAMA, civilian deaths fell by 13 percent, compared to the first quarter of 2015. But the number of civilians wounded went up by 11 percent. The highest number of civilian casualties was caused by ground fighting.
“Consistent with 2015 trends, ground engagements caused the highest number of total civilian casualties, followed by improvised explosive devices (IEDs), complex and suicide attacks, as well as targeted killings,” the report said.
A statement from the Presidential Palace said the Afghan government had studied the UNAMA recent report on civilian casualties. It said the Afghan security and defence forces had been fighting for the protection of lives and properties of the citizens in line with domestic and international human rights laws.
“The enemies use residential houses and their inmates as human shield in clashes with security forces,” the statement said, adding security forces carefully performed their duty in order not to harm civilians.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.