Commanders among 19 rebels eliminated in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Nineteen insurgents, including three senior commanders, have been killed during clashes with security forces in northern Kunduz province, an official said on Sunday.
Lt. Gen. Shir Aziz Kamawal, the 808th Spinzar Zone police commander, told Pajhwok Afghan News the clashes erupted on Saturday night in Nasari, Charkh Aab, Gatakhil areas of Kunduz City, the provincial capital, and in Qala-i-Zal district.
He said 16 militants and their three commanders --- Maulvi Habib, Maulvi Salaam and Mohib Haqyar --- were killed in the clashes.
The slain commanders had been involved in a series of terrorist attacks in Kunduz province, Kamawal said, identifying Mohib Haqyar as a bomb-making expert.
The insurgents have so far said nothing about the clashes.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.