Daikundi floods leave 9 dead, several hurt, says governor
KABUL (Pajhwok): Flash floods in central Daikundi province have killed nine people, including four women, and wounded five others, the governor said on Monday, warning of serious trouble if urgent assistance was not delivered.
Masooma Muradi, in an exclusive interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, about 30 residential houses in each district had been damaged and more than 80 percent of crops destroyed by the flood in Oshturly, Miramor, Sang-i-Takht, Bandar, Khadarand Gete districts
She asked the central government and international donors to provide essential relief to the affected people. Several national and international organisations have been contacted, but only the Natural Disaster Management Authority has pledged three million afghanis in assistance.
The governor said the assistance promised would not be sufficient even for making up for five percent of the damage. The victims needed clothes, food items and reopening of roadsto prevent a possible disaster, she explained.
Muradi said 367 schools were functional in Daikundi but 287 had no buildings and 80 of them had partial structures. She said most of pupils studied in the open and during rains and floods they could not come to schools.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.