Kunduz security situation fast deteriorating: Public reps
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The provincial council on Monday said the four entrances to Kunduz City, the capital of northern Kunduz province, have been closed against traffic by Taliban militants.
Deputy head of the council, Toryal Kakar told Pajhwok Afghan News the security situation in Kunduz City was deteriorating with each passing day and if urgent steps were not taken, people would face serious problems.
Another member of the provincial council, Amiruddin Wali, said roads connecting Kunduz with Kabul, Takhar and Sherkhan dry port had been closed in the city.
“The militants are active along these roads and traders cannot transport their goods through the transit routes,” he said.
The government has failed in maintaining security in the province, he said and warned if the same situation continued, people would start migrating to other provinces.
“Charab is the nearest place to the governor’s office, if this place is not cleared of militants, they will attack the governor’s office from there,” he said.
However, quick reaction force commander Khyal Nabi Ahmadzai said security operation against militants had been slowly going because insurgents had turned residential homes into bastions.
He assured the people that the area would be cleared from the presence of insurgents soon, saying fresh forces and equipment had reached the province and they would launch operations as soon as receiving orders from high command.
Kunduz police chief Brig. Gen. Qasim Jangal Bagh said security forces staged a tactical retreat from Qala-i-Zal headquarters and then recaptured the district centre by inflicting casualties on 20 Taliban fighters this morning.
However, a Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the fighters had captured the Qala-i-Zal district and destroyed several military vehicles.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.