Kunduz-Takhar road to be cleared till evening: Umarkhel
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The governor of northern Kunduz province on Tuesday claimed scores of Taliban were killed and wounded and areas around the provincial capital were purged of militants during clearing operations.
Asadullah Umarkhel said the Kunduz-Takhar highway would be reopened for traffic until evening, adding that militants had established bunkers in Charagh Ab and Nasariha areas from where they staged attacks on security forces.
Umarkhel vowed to maintain the law and order situation in Kunduz and asked displaced families to return to their homes.
At least 3,000 families have been displaced due to heavy fighting between security forces and Taliban militants. The governor said the Taliban had lost the ability to fight security forces face-to-face and they had been defeated.
But the provincial council, expressing concern over what they called deteriorating security situation in Kunduz City, said the four entrances to the city had been blocked by Taliban and security forces had been unable to drive them away.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.