‘Govt wants to refresh Jamiat-Junbish differences’
MAIMANA (Pajhwok): The Jamiat Islami and Junbish-i-Milli Islami parties say they have resolved their differences over the removal of Abdul Rashid Dostum’s portraits in northern Balkh province, but the government wants to rekindle the dispute by sending a fact-finding delegation to probe the matter.
The two parties locked in a dispute after First Vice President Dostum’s portraits were brought down by unknown persons in Mazar-i-Sharif on the eve of New Solar Year.
Dostum’s supporters blamed the incident on supporters of Balkh Governor Atta Mohammad Noor, who is also chief executive of the Jamiat Islami party. On March, 24, 2016, supporters of the two leaders clashed in Mazar-i-Sharif during protests.
After the protests, the Presidential Palace appointed a fact-finding delegation led by Maulvi Inayatullah Baligh, a presidential advisor, to assess the issue. However, the delegation reached northern Faryab province on Tuesday (April, 19) and started it assessment.
Jamiat Islami provincial head Maulvi Asadullah Jamali said the government should have send the delegation soon after the issue emerged, but now the issue had been resolved and there was no problem between the two parties.
Similarly, a member of the political committee of Junbish-i-Mili Islami, Mohammad Asif Paiman, said by sending the delegation one month after the dispute, the central government wanted to refresh the situation and create more problems between the two parties.
“During the protests, a person was killed and five others were wounded as a result of firing. The leadership of the province, officials of both the parties and elders resolved the issue and now there is no issue between the parties, so the problem should not be fueled,” he said.
Advisor to Chief Executive Officer, Maulvi Abdul Qahar Hakimi, who is a member of the delegation, accepted that the government committed negligence regarding the issue and had to send the delegation one or two days after the incident.
Hakimi thanked local administration for resolving the issue, saying the aim of their visit was to assess the situation in order to prevent such incidents in future.
Meanwhile, civil society networks chairman in Faryab, Javed Kiwan, welcomed the visit by the presidential envoy, but said they should start their investigation from Balkh province because the issue of tearing down posters commenced in Faryab and spread to other northern provinces.
He asked the delegation to identify perpetrators behind the two incidents in Balkh and Faryab and bring them to justice.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.