Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

150 militants killed & wounded in Nangarhar

150 militants killed & wounded in Nangarhar

Apr 25, 2016 - 15:34

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 150 militants including Talibaninfo-icon and Islamic State fighters have been killed and wounded during a series of operations in various districts of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Monday.

Brig. Gen. Mohammad Nasim Sangin, the 201 Selab Military Corps fourth brigade commander, and Attaullah Khogyani, the provincial government spokesman, briefed journalists about the ongoing operations in various parts of the province here.

Sangin said personnel from the Afghan National Army, border, public order and local police and intelligence officials were taking part in the operations underway in Kot, Batikot, Ghanikhel, Chaparhar and Khogyani districts.

He said so far seven operations in these districts had been carried out and dozens of insurgents were killed and wounded.

He said the Kabulinfo-icon-Jalalabad highway’s second lane was made secure for road workers and people living along the highway as a result of the nationwide ‘Operation Shafaq’ in the Khogyani district.

As a result of the successful operation, Brig. Gen. Sangin said 40 displaced families had returned to their homes in Mumli area of the Khogyani district.

The military official said four security posts and a large base had been established along the Kabul-Jalalabad second lane to provide security to road workers and local residents.

Besides national police, a strong 130-member youth had been stationed in the newly-established base after passing through a legal process.

Khogyani praised the security operations that began about two weeks ago, saying the ground and air forces had killed and wounded some 150 militants during the period in Nangarhar.

He said the insurgents suffered most of the casualties during ground operations that showed the increasing combat ability of the Afghan forces.

Khogyani said the governor had consulted tribal elders and religious scholars ahead of the operation to secure the Kabul-Jalalabad second lane and the operation had produced good results.

He said the morale of security forces had heightened after they were extended support by tribal elders, religious scholars and civil societyinfo-icon activists and operations against militants had seen an unprecedented increase.

The two officials said security forces and civilians had so far suffered no casualties during the ongoing operations.

The Islamic State or Daesh militants have so far said nothing about these operations, but the Taliban claimed inflicting heavy casualties on security forces in various areas of Nangarhar.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update