20 fighters killed in ongoing clash in Chardara district
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At lead 20 Taliban fighters were killed and several others wounded during aongoing offensive in the Chardara district of northern Kunduz province, officials said on Thursday.
A spokesman for the special units of security forces, Ahmad Javed Salim, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the operation was launched at around 3am in the Haji Aman village of Chardara district.
Up to 20 fighters have been killed and many others injured or arrested, he said, adding a military vehicle captured by Taliban was retaken and different types of weapons recovered from the insurgents.
Provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Qasim Jangalbagh, confirmed the operations by the commandos of the Afghan National Army (ANA) and the special unity of police.
Militant commanders Shah Wali, alias Zadran, and Moshfiq were killed along with 19 associates and many insurgents wounded in the ongoing operation, he said.
The commander of 808th police zone, Lt. Gen. Sher Aziz Kamawal, said the militants had been trying to flee the area in women’s dress, but they had established security posts to prevent the rebels from fleeing.
However, Taliban spokesmanZabihullah Mujahidsaid dozens of Afghan and foreign soldiers had been killed during clashes in Chardara. Many civilians also suffered casualties as a result of airstrikes by Afghan and foreign troops.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.