Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Security forces reopen Kandahar-Uruzgan road

Security forces reopen Kandahar-Uruzgan road

Apr 29, 2016 - 00:04

KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Security forces on Thursday reopened the road between southern Kandahar and central Uruzgan provinces on the second day of their operation, an official said.

The road had been closed by Talibaninfo-icon militants in Shah Walikot district after attacking security posts and capturing them.

Security forces two days ago launched an operation to clear the road of landmine and open it for traffic, the Kandahar governor’s spokesman, Samim Khpalwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

He said Kandahar police chief Gen. Abdul Raziq was spearheading the operation that resulted in reopening of the road on Thursday.

He said security forces were able to clear the road of landmines amid clashes with insurgents. He said 18 militants were killed and another 17 were wounded during the operation.

The security forces, who escaped unhurt during the operation, also confiscated weapons and explosives belonging to the rebels, the official said.

Shah Walikot district chief Haji Abdul Ghani Muslimyar also confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News that the Kandahar-Uruzgan road had been reopened.

He said the insurgents had blocked the road in mountainous Sang and Albak areas and security forces had been careful in advancing. He said the rebels had been firing at security forces from the mountains.

Kandahar highway security chief Haji Lala, who was injured during the operation, is currently under treatment in hospital.

Last night, insurgents attacked security posts in Khakrez district but the security forces pushed them back, killing eight attackers, according to Khpalwak. He said the security forces suffered no casualties in the attack.

But the Taliban claimed overrunning a number of security posts in the district with the clashes still ongoing, a claim rejected by local officials.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update