Kabul to declare stance on Pakistan attacks soon
KABUL (Pajhwok): Chief of Army Staff Gen. Qadam Shah Shaheem on Saturday said the Afghan government would use the Afghan National Army (ANA) in responding to rocket attacks from Pakistan if other options did not yield any results.
On April 23, local media reported that Pakistani forces fired nearly 300 rockets at two Afghan security posts in a border district, killing one Afghan security personnel and injuring two others.
Speaking a joint press conference with Ministry of Interior, National Security Council (NSC) and Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG) officials, Gen. Saqeem said Pakistan did not maintain good neighborhood with Afghanistan.
About a tit-for-tat response to the Pakistan attacks, he said the ANA forces would be used only when other available options failed to yield any results.
But NSC deputy head Faizullah Zaki said before restoring to a tit for tat response, the issue of rocket strikes from Pakistan should be deeply investigated because armed groups were also operating in the border region. “Therefore a comprehensive investigation is needed.”
He said the Afghan government would hold a meeting this evening to discuss the attacks. He said the meeting would also declare the government’s official stance regarding the cross border attacks.
The officials called the ongoing Afghan forces’ operation codenamed ‘Shafaq’ as successful.
MoI deputy minister Lt. Gen. Abdur Rahman Rahman said the Afghan forces were currently in high morale.
He admitted crimes were on the increase in the country including the capital, but claimed to have neutralised 80 percent of criminal acts.
About the killing of a 12-year-old boy Abasin by his kidnappers, Rahman said an investigation into the incident was underway and the police officers concerned would be also questioned.
Abasin was kidnapped in the Kart-i-Naw area of Kabul about two months ago. A few days after his abduction, the kidnappers cut off one of his fingers. The boy was later killed after being severely tortured.
Rahman said more than 10 people had been detained in connection with the incident and cases had been shared with judicial organs.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.