April 19 Kabul attack victims receive aid packages
KABUL (Pajhwok): Eighty families affected by last month’s devastating suicide bombing that struck an elite force agency in Kabul on Wednesday received aid packages, an official said.
The aid was distributed to the affected families as part of the Afghan Civilian Assistance Programme (ACAP), a countrywide project aiding people affected by conflict, mines and explosive remnants of war through the Mine Action Coordination Centre of Afghanistan, which is supported by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS).
Sixty-four people were killed and another 347 were injured in the Taliban suicide and gun attack on April 19, targeting the VIP protection unit in Kabul, one of the deadliest in recent years.
Shir Agha Ahmadzai, a ACAP official, told Pajhwok Afghan News the aid packages were distributed to affected families after being identified and interviewed.
Each family received aid worth $250 that included 20 kinds of food items, he said.
BiBi Samia, one of the aid recipients, told Pajhwok Afghan News she aborted her baby after she was injured in the blast.
She welcomed the assistance and said: “God destroy those who commit destructive activities and carry out bomb explosions.”
Zarmina, another mother, said: “My son Nazir went out of home for selling plastic pags in the bazaar when he was injured in the head, feet and back in the blast.”
She said her husband died five years ago and her son was the only breadwinner for her five-member family. However, she added doctors had told her that one of her son’s feet might be amputated due to the deep injuries.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.