2 NATO soldiers killed in Kandahar airbase shooting
KABUL (Pajhwok): Two foreign soldiers were killed on Saturday when gunmen wearing Afghan security forces uniforms opened fire at an Afghan military base in southern Afghanistan, the military alliance said.
NATO’s Resolute Support (RS) said in a statement that the incident happened the gunmen opened fire at an Afghan National Defence and Security and Forces (ANDSF) compound.
The RS members returned fire and killed the shooters, the statement said, adding Afghan and RS officials were conducting an investigation into the incident.
“Further information will be released as available and appropriate.” “We continue to train, advise and assist the ANDSF, and do not view this incident as representative of the positive relationship between our forces.”
The statement did not mention the exact location of the incident or nationality of the fallen soldiers.
But a source told Pajhwok Afghan News the soldiers killed were Romanians and the incident took place at the airbase in southern city of Kandahar.
He said an Afghan soldier opened fire at Romanian soldiers during training and killed two soldiers before he was gunned down in return fire.
On the other hand, the spokesman for the Kandahar governor, Samim Khpalwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News that two foreign soldiers had been injured in the incident and the attacker had been captured alive.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.