Operation Shafaq: 360 rebels suffer casualties in east
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): As many as 360 militants suffered casualties in ground operations since the start of this solar year in eastern Nangarhar province as part of the ongoing ‘Operation Shafaq,’ local security officials said on Thursday.
This was told to a meeting of the 202nd Shamshad Zone Police officials in the capital, Jalalabad.
The meeting was attended by senior Interior Ministry officials, the assistant US forces commander in Afghanistan and local officials of the eastern zone.
Nangarhar Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi told the meeting that 65 operations as part of the Operation Shafaq had been conducted in the eastern zone since March 21, leaving 360 militants killed and wounded.
Kunduzi said all the operations were carried out in full coordination and militants were forced into fleeing to remote areas.
“The militants wanted to disrupt security of the province and capture some areas, but they failed,” he said.
However, militants did not comment on the claim.
Deputy 202nd Shamshad Zone commander, Brig. Gen. Abdul Hakim Ishaqzai, also said more than 60 operations had been launched in the eastern zone. He said the operations would continue.
General chief of police at MoI, Lt. Gen. Mohammad Salim Ehsas said the aim of the meeting was to improve coordination among security forces of the Shamshad Zone.
He said military readiness, assessing security forces’ performance and finding solutions to current problems were other objectives of the meeting.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.