Suspected toxic gas: 100 Nimroz schoolgirls fall ill
ZARANJ (Pajhwok): At least 100 girl students of a school fell unconscious on Thursday when they entered classrooms and breathed in toxic gas in southwestern Nimroz province, the first incident of the kind in the province, officials said.
Abdul Hadi Bidar, deputy education director, told Pajhwok Afghan News the girl students of the Malalai Middle School in Zarang city, the provincial capital, fell ill when they entered classrooms and breathed in a toxic fume.
He said the girls were taken to the Zarang civil hospital by security forces and some were discharged after being treated and others were admitted.
Noor Ahmad Shirzad, the public health director, confirmed the incident and said the girls, aged 7-14 years, were all discharged except six from hospital after treatment.
Nimroz Governor Mohammad Sami said an investigation was underway to determine if it was a deliberate act and if insurgents were involved.
According to the education department, 600 students are enrolled in the school.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.