Boy rescued, suspected kidnapper detained in Khost raid
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): A child has been rescued from kidnappers and a suspect detained in southeastern Khost province, a senior police official said on Friday.
Brig. Gen. Faizulah Ghairat, the provincial police chief, told reporters in Khost City the 14-year-old boy named Attiqullah had been kidnapped in Ismailkhel district three months ago.
As a result of a police raid, the boy was recovered and reunited with his family, the police chief said. “The boy was held in a mountainous area of Musakhel district.”
A man arrested with a Kalashnikov during the raid was under investigation, Gen. Ghairat added. However, he avoided going into details.
Asif, the victim’s father, alleged the kidnappers had demanded $300,000 in ransom. Unable to arrange this big an amount, he sought assistance from police.
Happy with the police raid, the man appealed to judicial organs to award deterrent punishment to his son’s abductors. “I find it hard feeding my family. How could I arrange $300,000?” he asked.
Attiqullah told Pajhwok Afghan News he was severely beaten by his captors. He complained of being forced by the kidnappers to carry heavy stones from dawn to dusk.
“In front of my home, I was bundled into a car by four men, who thrashed me and loaded me with heavy rocks. Both my hands are injured,” the boy recalled.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.