Casualties as fighting rages in Balkh’s Kushandi district
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): A fierce battle is ongoing between Taliban and security forces in the Kushandi district of northern Balkh province, with each side claiming inflicting casualties on the other.
The gunbattle in Kunshandi has been ongoing for the past three days, Balkh police chief, Brig. Gen. Syed Kamal Sadat, told Pajhwok Afghan News on Friday noon.
“Based on public demands, an operation -- led by Governor Atta Mohammad Noor -- was launched in the district three days back,” he said, claiming at least 10 militants had been killed so far.
For their part, the Taliban claimed killing five security personnel, including two commanders. In a statement on its website, the militant movement said more than a dozen security officials had been wounded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.