42 weapons seized, 21 illegal gunmen held in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Forty-two weapons have been seized and 21 illegal armed men arrested in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Tuesday.
While handing over the confiscated weapons to the Disbandment of Illegal Armed Group (DIAG) programme, Nangarhar police chief Brig. Gen. Zarawar Zahid said the people arrested over possessing illegal weapons had been referred to judiciary organs.
“The weapons were seized over the past two months during operations and the 21 illegal gunmen have been referred to judiciary departments for interrogation,” he said.
“Illegal armed men are a threat to security, so we will not let anybody keep weapons,” Nangarhar Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi said.
Afghan police seized 42 weapons over the past two months and arrested several people possessing illegal weapons, he said.
A resident of Jalalabad, Ikramullah Ikram, also a civil society activist, said there were a number of illegal armed men operating in Nangarhar.
“People are afraid of these illegal armed groups. The government should launch operations to arrest such people,” he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.