NATO FMs decide to extend Afghan mission beyond 2016
KABUL (Pajhwok): In a show of strong commitment to the war-torn nation, foreign ministers from NATO states agreed on Friday agreed to sustain the train, assist and advise mission in Afghanistan beyond the current year.
At the end of a two-day meeting in Brussels, NATO-Secretary Jens Stoltenberg told reporters: “The Afghan forces are showing real courage, determination and professionalism; and they are benefitting from our training, advice and assistance.”
But Afghanistan continued to face serious security challenges and it was for that reason the foreign ministers decided to keep up the Resolute Support mission beyond 2016.
Military bosses of member states would work out the details of the mission beyond 2016, including in regions of Afghanistan, the secretary-general added. The meeting also discussed financial support for the Afghan security forces.
A statement from the alliance put total contributions to the Afghan National Army Trust Fund at more than 1.4 billion US dollars.
Earlier in the day, Stoltenberg said NATO and partner forces had worked hand in hand with the Afghans to deny terrorists a safe haven in Afghanistan, where the security situation remained challenging.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.