Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Mullah Mansour’s death a huge blow to Taliban: MoI

Mullah Mansour’s death a huge blow to Taliban: MoI

May 23, 2016 - 22:29

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Interior on Monday termed the killing of Talibaninfo-icon leader Mullahinfo-icon Mohammad Mansour ‘a huge blow to the insurgent group’ and asking the rebels to join the peace process.

The US and Afghan authorities on Saturday said Mansour was targeted by a US drone in Pakistaninfo-icon’s Balochistan province.

There has been no word so far from the Taliban regarding their leader’s death.

Sediq Sedeqi, MoI spokesman, told a press conference here on Monday the death of Mansour had demoralised the Taliban and strengthened the morale of security forces of Afghanistaninfo-icon.”  

Mansour, who had been a great reason behind the war in Afghanistan, his death was a big blow to the Taliban and it would weaken and fracture  the group, he believed.

Mansoor’s killing would wreak havoc in the group and every member of the group’s leadership council wouldn’t remain silent even in Pakistan’s Quetta, he said.

Seddiqi also praised the achievements of “Operation Shafaq,’ a countrywide being conducted in response to Taliban’s spring offensive and said “we are sure this year is the year of Taliban’s destruction and defeat.”      

The Taliban were unable to continue fighting and should avail the chance and join the peace process, he said, adding the Taliban had been unable to achieve their goals during the past 15 years and wouldn’t be able to do so in future.

The Pperation Shafaq was launched in March this year against insurgents and 711 raids have been conducted in various provinces so far as part of the operation, in which 1,167 insurgents have been killed and another 465 wounded and 154 others detained.

The MoI spokesman said nothing about security forces’s casualties during these operations but said large caches of weapons and ammunition had been recovered from insurgents by security forces.

The Operation Shafaq is still underway in northern Baghlan, northeastern Badakhshan, northern Kunduz and eastern Nangarhar provinces.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update